What is Digital Marketing?
You’ve probably had the experience of seeing just the right ad at just the right time when the internet mysteriously shows you the perfect product to solve a problem in your life. It might seem like magic, but the truth behind this magic is the hard work of digital marketers and the magical digital marketing techniques
So now let’s understand what exactly digital marketing is?
Digital marketing is the act of promoting and selling products and services by leveraging online marketing tactics such as social media marketing, search marketing, and email marketing.
It is the marketing and advertising of a business, person, product, or service using online channels, electronic devices, and digital technologies.
How Digital Marketing Is Different From Traditional Marketing?
The main difference between digital marketing and traditional marketing is the medium through which an audience encounters a marketing message. While traditional marketing uses traditional media like brochures, letters, magazines, coupon books, billboards, and newspapers, digital marketing uses digital media, such as social media, Google or websites.
Why Digital Marketing Is Important?
The answer to this question can be found just by looking around you. How many electronic devices can you see? The chances are that you are reading this on a laptop or mobile and there are probably a few other devices that can connect to the internet within easy reach.
Think of how you consume information yourself and even how you share information with your colleagues, friends, and family. Being online & being connected has transformed the way we buy things, the way we find out about events and, it can even influence the way we vote. Being readily online, at almost anytime, is one of the reasons digital marketing has transformed how businesses promote and market their products and services.
Here are some of the reasons to understand why digital marketing is important for any business –
- Reach your potential customers: More people are now using the internet and spending most of the time online doing searches, engaging with others, checking social media, or buying things there. This means your customers are active more online than offline and if you don’t meet them there, someone else will and you will lose prospects. More so, digital marketing can help you reach more leads by using less money. More importantly, digital marketing can be used by any company irrespective of the size and industry to reach its customers.
- Compete with top brands of the Industry: Thanks to digital marketing, it’s quite possible for even a small business to challenge the hegemony of big players in their industry. You will have access to the same tools and techniques big players of the industry have, can play with the same rules and techniques, and reach the potential leads in a cost-effective manner. More so, you can use methods like PPC management, Search Engine Optimization, Social Media Marketing, and banner advertising and give top players a run for their money.
- Digital marketing is cost-effective: Price is another awesome benefit of digital marketing.
Compared to traditional marketing, digital marketing is extremely cost-effective. If you advertise online, whether, on social media, websites, or search engines, you set your budget and bid for ad space. You have complete control over how much you spend, which isn’t the case with traditional marketing. once you have spent your money on magazines printing, newspaper and brochures it will not come back.
- It is easy to track and monitor your digital campaigns: It is vital that the modern marketer has a way to track the success of their marketing campaigns. This helps brands see what is working and what isn’t when it comes to their marketing tactics. With this information, companies can not only more accurately measure their return on investment, but they can also identify areas of improvement and work to create more successful campaigns based on the findings. Digital marketing makes these tasks easier than ever by taking all of the guesswork out of tracking and monitoring marketing campaign success.
- Best ROI: Digital marketing is known to drive results for businesses of any size and from any industry. There is always a huge potential with this form of marketing and your investment is always set to deliver amazing results.
Types of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing includes numerous kinds of marketing channels to do the business. These channels are very much effective for promoting products or services and the considerably easiest way to grasp the target customers. They are as follows:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): Search engine optimization or SEO is one of the important tools which help to enhance online visibility in search engine results. Google, Bing, and yahoo are popular search engines through which a user can get specific search results on the basis of keywords, the user’s location at the time of searching, and also browsing history. To appear on the first page of search engine results (SERP) and to attract more traffic to the website, it is necessary to optimize the content for specific keywords or the mixing up of inbound and outbound links. The marketer needs to follow the changes of search engine algorithms and take decisions or update strategy accordingly. Nowadays, every business organization improves their content for search engines to survive in the competition of the market.
- Paid Social and Paid Search Advertising: Ads that appear on social media are paid social ads, and all that seems on SERPs when you enter a query are paid search ads. Advertisers create these paid ads and compete with others for positions on their chosen social platform or the SERP for their selected search engine.
- Content Marketing: Every effort to market through online content is considered content marketing (and often employs SEO, paid search, and paid social advertising). For example, all these content types (and more) are grouped under the content marketing category:
- Email Marketing: Though it is an old model, yet it is a successful model in digital marketing strategy. Here, the marketers update their customers regularly about products, services, and the company’s customers’ related policies through email. It nurtures a sociable relationship with those email subscribers who help to increase brand trust and brand loyalty.
Other types of digital marketing include marketing automation, design, apps, mobile marketing and SMS, web analytics, and growth hacking.